Polaris Ranger World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lets talk lifts, kind of.

2 posters

Go down

Lets talk lifts, kind of. Empty Lets talk lifts, kind of.

Post by Handyhiker Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:35 pm

I had a 2-1/2" lift that was the homemade version. It was 4 - 2" pvc pipe collars with a piece of 2" pipe glued inside for added strength. It seemed to do okay but I did have trouble with the right front axel coming out of the front differential. These have since been removed. I am running the stock axels and stock tires and rims. For what I do, these are fine and no, I really don't need a lift on my Polaris. I really just want to tighten up the suspension a little bit.
When I use the plow, the front end sags and when I haul fire wood, the rear end sags. I know I can adjust the rear suspension up and that should stop that, but the front is still a problem. I know for about $80 I can get the spring spacers for the front. I really don't care if it is adjustable or not. So here is my plan, any comments please post as I am curious what else I can do.
I am thinking about just installing a 1" spacer under each spring, both front and back. This should give me just a little extra spring compression without having any of the troubles of a lift kit. Or maybe even install something like 1 -1/2" in the front and 1/2" in the rear, since those are adjustable anyhow. Again, I am going to do this not because I want/need a lift, just want to stiffen the suspension a bit and really don't want to spend a lot to do it. Thoughts?? Comments??
Handyhiker
Handyhiker
PolarisRangerWorld Member

Back to top Go down

Lets talk lifts, kind of. Empty Re: Lets talk lifts, kind of.

Post by Handyhiker Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:05 am

Well as usual, I thought about this all summer and did other things around the house. I plowed the other day for the first time of the year and realized that I do really need something to stiffen up the front suspension. So, this weekend in the 12* high for the day Crying or Very sad , I will install the spring spacers on the front. For now I am just going to crank up the rear if I need to and see how that works. Still not exactly sure how big of spacers I am going to use, but it will be less than the 2-1/2" I had last time. I would like to try 1-1/2" and see how that works. I'll post the results.
Handyhiker
Handyhiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Handyhiker Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:47 am

I went with 1-1/2" spring spacer in the front. Looks like that will be just right for what I want. I did not add any spacer under the shock so my total extension is unchanged. This will eliminate any axel issues.
Handyhiker
Handyhiker

Back to top Go down

Post by papamark Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:23 pm

i put 1 1/2 spacers under mine fronts on my 2014 800 midsize with no spacers under struts works great with no axel problems and no more sag with plow on now need to do something to rear made the fromt out of 2" galvanized pipe

papamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Handyhiker Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:38 am

papamark wrote:i put 1 1/2 spacers under mine fronts  on my 2014 800 midsize with no spacers under struts works great with no axel problems and no more sag with plow on now need to do something to rear  made the fromt out of 2" galvanized pipe

Wow, yours are heavy duty compared to mine. So far, mine are working good.
Did you add anything around the shock to keep the spring centered? I used 1-1/2" DWV pipe. Had to cut a split in it then it wraps nice and tight around the shock.
Handyhiker
Handyhiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum